Amazon Earth Day 2018
First and only Amazon Earth Day originates in Iquitos, Peru
A month-long celebration to raise awareness of Amazon issues, and to promote sustainable actions.
The Wealth of the Amazon
- The Amazon rainforest is called “the lungs of the World”
because it provides more than 20 percent of the world’s
- One-fifth of the world's fresh water is in the Amazon Basin.
- The Amazon Rainforest covers over a billion acres-- if
Amazonia were a country, it would be the ninth largest in the
- The Amazon rainforests are called “the jewels of the Earth”--
there are around 40,000 plant species, 1,300 bird
species, 3,000 types of fish, 430 mammals and 2.5 million
kinds of insects.
- The Amazon rainforests are called “the World’s largest
pharmacy”-- quinine, muscle relaxants, steroids, and
anticancer drugs have already been discovered.
AS GOES THE AMAZON, SO GOES THE WORLD
**Stay connected for full schedule of week-long
events in Iquitos, Peru…April, 2018